Saturday 24 December 2011

It's Christmas eve

It's Christmas eve and I think it is a good day to summarize some of the good things that this journey will bring. It's unreal how a friendship can grow when you go through the same awful thing. You always get to know new people who have loved ones out in the desert. And you have to keep them around you to stay sane.

It's Christmas eve and it's been 13 days since I last heard out from C. I know he won't be able to ring me over the festive period as phones will be even more busy. To be honest, it's never been so long I haven't heard from him. What to keep in mind is that he will be thinking of you every minute, not just around Christmas but every day he's not able to call. 

He's never far from my thoughts, wherever I am, whatever I am doing. I am missing him always, and of course it gets worse at Christmas. 


In Germany, in the UK and everywhere else in the world it's Christmas eve. Is it Christmas eve in Afghanistan as well? I'd like to answer this question with a quotation from a brave soldier:


Some will spend the day relaxing and playing games. 

Some will spend the day patrolling through the bazaar. 


Some will have the luxury of a cooked turkey dinner. 

Some will be eating yet another ration pack. 



Some will spend time on Skype to there families. 

Some won’t even get the chance to ring home.



Some will go to bed full of Christmas cheer and food.

Some won’t sleep because they will be on duty.


Sgt. Steve Blake, Helmand
Remember this Christmas when you're eating your dinner, smiling and laughing, that in another house there's an empty chair where a hero should be sitting. They gave up their lives so you could sit with your family, so light a candle for the heroes who did not make it back and for those who are still serving out in Afghanistan. Show some respect for each of them. 
To my lovely boyfriend, I miss you loads each and every day and I'm thinking of you every second you're not with me. Stay safe in the sands, this Christmas and until you get back. I won't be celebrating much, because it won't be the same without you. 
 I love you and I cannot wait for RnR, not long to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment