Sunday 9 October 2011

The very first letter - cracking on

That was my second week then. The second week on my own. The second week of 24 weeks at all. I'm still at the very beginning of this long journey. And there were already so many ups and downs during these two weeks. I got my third phone call from the sand pit. I got my very first message from C. But the best thing was, that I had a little down on Saturday, because I've been told C.'s letters may not get to me because he sent them to a German civvi address. What was good about that? That I received his first letter exactly that day. It was so ironic. As if he wanted to say "Ha, as if my letters won't reach you!". I keep this little blue letter with me, wherever I go. It is so special. It is not just a letter. These 23 lines mean the world to me. I never thought I would wait for the post man nowadays! I never thought I would, until I fell in love with an infantry soldier.

But what can we do? Nothing at all. Nothing? We can do a little bit, at least. We can give support. We can give our soliders a feeling of home, bring them a bit closer to us. They are the receiving end of the support. But that doesn't mean they can't support us as well. Us – the ones they left behind at home. They do support us with every phone call they make, with every line they write down, with every letter they send or with every message they leave us. All these little things make you buzz. They make your day. Even a ten-second phone call can make your day so much brighter. I didn't think that would be true before I fell in love with a soldier. When your other half is in a war zone, you are unbelievable greatful for just every second you get to speak to them. Without this contact, how little it may be, we couldn't go through it. We couldn't cope without them. And C. is with me every moment of my life, wherever I go, wherever I may be, I know he is there, because I have him in my heart and on my mind 24/7 and I am more than 100% sure I am in his chest as well. He took part of me with him. And with every phone call I get, with every letter I receive and with every line I read I get part from him back, until I have him by my side again. And I am so sure this will be the best feeling I've ever had in my life. And that is exactly what keeps me going. I know it was the worst thing I've ever done so far, saying good-bye to him that sunny Sunday when he had to leave. But I know as well that this feeling I have, when I have him back in my arms, will be so amazing that it's all worth it. Going through such a thing together can just make you stronger in the end. I am pretty sure about that. And that is a special feeling just someone can have who got through this journey. It is a long, horrible journey. But there are not just down-times. May the good days outbalance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment